Mr. Bruce's Design Thoughts & Mr. Mike's Things to Know > Ten tips to ensure a luxury vinyl plank or tile floor remains looking new
Ten tips to ensure a luxury vinyl plank or tile floor remains looking new
Monday, February 8, 2016 1:00 AM
- Read the manual. This is the first and easiest step to a long, happier, flooring experience, yet so many of us skip it. No one knows a floor better than the people who made its, so we should all follow the manufacturer’s advice.
- Sweep or vacuum a couple of times a week -- maybe more if conditions warrant. The dirt and grit tracked in can be abrasive and may dull the finish over time in high-traffic areas.
- Use walk-off mats at exterior entrances. (see no. 2.)
- Avoid rubber backed mats as they can discolor floors.
- Beater brushes on vacuum cleaners are not recommended. They may scratch the finish.
- Use felt protectors if moving heavy objects.
- Use non-staining feet, cups or glides under furniture legs to avoid creating permanent indentations.
- A mop and warm water will usually be enough for cleanup. If not, a tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent in a quart of warm water will do the trick. Be sure to rinse thoroughly.
- Never let a spill sit without wiping it up – particularly liquids that stain like juices, red wine or pet urine. Left unattended, coloring will be left behind.
- Never use abrasive cleaning tools, cleaners or compounds.