Stone is a natural solid of one or many minerals. There are thousands of types of stone that have been quarried throughout the centuries. Quarries are located around the world.
The minerals in stone came from the same liquid and gas minerals that formed the earth. The earth developed as a massive body of gas and liquid minerals that slowly cooled and condensed into a solid core. Through pressure, the Earth's crust began to form and heavy minerals were forced down to the core of the earth where they were trapped. As the crust got thicker, it squeezed around the inner core which create intense pressure and heat from within the earth.
Crystals and other solid forms begin to grow from the mineral pressure pushed the solid minerals up to the Earth's surface which formed colossal rock beds. It took up to one-hundred million years to form some of these beds. Many of the beds are now used as quarries where the stone is mined. Most of these minerals can be identified by their color, hardness and crystal formation. Crystal comes in a variety of shapes and sizes. The wide array of these minerals is often difficult to identify. Many stones look very similar to each other however they are all very different.
Natural stone is beautiful, but that is only the beginning of a long list of reasons it is a superior surface material.AFFORDABLE
- Natural stone is surprisingly affordable, especially when you consider that it is a long-term investment - a granite countertop will last forever.BEAUTIFUL
- Natural stone adds prestige, beauty and value to a home that will far surpass the cost of installation.EASY TO MAINTAIN
- Natural stone is virtually maintenance free. Simple care on many stones can be performed as infrequently as once a year.NATURAL
- When you choose natural stone, you are selecting a product that has formed in the earth naturally without interference by man. Natural stone is the real thing, not an artificial substitute. Natural stone brings the beauty of the natural world into your home or office.SANITARY
- Granite is one of the best surfaces in terms of sanitation to have in a kitchen. In a study performed by Dr. O. Peter Snyder of the Hospitality Institute of Technology and Management, it was shown that there are significant cleanability advantages of natural granite countertops over almost all other commonly found countertop surface materials. This study compared granite, stainless steel, concrete, tile, wood, and plastic laminate and determined that granite ranked first in terms of cleanability.
- When natural stone is properly sealed, it is hard to find any man-made product that is as good or better at withstanding staining or the extremes of hot and cold cooking equipment.STRONG & DURABLE
- Natural stone provides exceptional strength and durability to exterior and interior projects. For example, granite cannot be scratched with the best and sharpest of knives. And even with prolonged exposure to heat, granite will not burn.TIMELESS
- Throughout history, natural stone has proven its superiority to man-made material. Ancient natural stone sculptures and buildings have endured thousands of years. Stone can withstand daily use indoors and the rugged weather outdoors without losing its unparalleled beauty.VERSATILE
- Natural stone is the most versatile home product available. It is suitable for interior projects like floors, showers, tubs decks, vanities, tabletops, countertops, sinks and fireplace surrounds. It is equally suitable for exterior projects, landscaping, and trim pieces. No other home building material works in all of these applications.